Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Run For Life



A week ago I was lying in bed (early on a Saturday morning) and Richard asked if I wanted to listen to the radio ~ there was a program on discussing breast cancer. I listened for about 1/2 hour and suddenly remembered that this was the morning for the annual breast cancer walk at Liberty Park. Last year Maren and I did this walk and it happened to be just a few days before I received my positive biopsy results. Lying there in my warm bed, I decided that I really should get up and go do this walk. So I pulled on my running clothes and drove to Liberty Park to walk for 5 miles (in a really nice, drizzly rain). This is me . . . after the walk, next to the pink balloon finish line. I also got a pink T-shirt that says SURVIVOR on the back. Very cool. I am a survivor.

Oh, and today I was officially banned from running. It's been determined that I have too high of a risk for spinal, leg, or foot fractures. So I will be power walking the Salt Lake 1/2 marathon in April. Let me know if you'd like to walk with me ~ target walking pace: 5mph.

4 comments:

The Marshalls said...

i am sorry mom.. being banned from running sucks... If i am still living in utah i would love to walk that 1/2 marathon with you.. since i hate running now.. i think walking is a perfect alternate!

mj said...

now kb and shmoj are banned...but you can still walk...and that is great exercise. wish i could have done the liberty park walk with you again. leah does too. she said she had fun last year.

dixie :D said...

I would love to walk with you in April. We'll just see who can walk faster!
Your first walkin partner,
dixie

mj said...

if mom and dixie are "walking" this thing, there is no way that I will bea them if i run it. i'm having flashbacks - bad ones - of trying to keep up with those two while shopping in the mall.

Cancer Free!

babies