Saturday, March 8, 2008

Birthdays

Last week I celebrated 2 "birthdays". Sunday, March 2nd was my 1-year cancer free anniversary, and it's hard to believe that it's been a whole year since my last chemotherapy infusion. I'm so grateful for the time that has passed and how much better I'm feeling this year than last.
Kelli conspired with many, many people to put together a surprise for my cancer-free birthday. The photo above shows me and kb holding the digital scrapbook that she created with pictures of family and friends as well as their thoughts about my journey this past year+. I'm pretty composed in this photo, but the night before, when I open the gift, I was a complete mess. I cried and laughed while reading the book, and so many memories flooded back to me. Thank you, thank you, kb, for the hours of work on this incredibly thoughtful gift. I love you.
And though my real birthday was on Monday, Sunday was the best day for family visitors. Scott came with all the fixin's for a great lunch and we had lots of time to play with the kids. Wesley and Arianne were all dressed up from church and ready for a picture with Grandshmoj.

Wesley had his eyes on the jelly beans - and I'm glad that it's as much fun to play with the gumball machine as it is to actually get the candy. He was content to play. . .

. . . and play . . . and play. One of these days he will use those long fingers to really play this piano.

Dixie and Ken were in town - on their way home from Phoenix - so they stopped by for a fun visit. We don't get to see each other nearly enough, but when we do there is plenty to laugh about.

And we got Richard on the front end of the camera this time. For my birthday, Richard cooked me dinner - bacon wrapped filet mignon - yum! And my gift from him was a BOSU ball. I know it sounds kind of weird, but I'm a bit of an exercise freak and using the BOSU ball during strength training at the hospital was really great. Now I can continue those workouts at home. Fun stuff.

And a birthday wouldn't be complete without a photo in front of the closet doors. Happy "star birthyear", Karen!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

yay for birthdays!!! i am glad i was here to help you celebrate.. love the new posts.. you are the bestest!

mj said...

i'm glad the book worked out. first it was a movie, then a scrapbook, then a digital book. i think it worked out well. happy birthday(s).

mj said...

...and cute twin shoes in the picture with kelli. i swear if i didn't know you were 30 years older than her, you could be sisters...twin sisters.

Heather said...

I just checked out Maren's blog and Leah is so adorable! I can see why you're so proud to be her grandma!

Congrats on being cancer free and happy birthday, again!

(Love the pics! So cute!)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Cancer Free!

babies